Friday, October 29, 2010

Shooting the Moon

A big beautiful moon came up over the farm out behind my house the other night, so I grabbed my camera and   tripod and went out on the deck...

This is the first shot I took...


Obviously this isn't the shot I intended to get, but I thought this turned out interesting... in a that-is-really-weird-and-doesn't-look-right way.  It almost looks like the sun at night... does that make sense?

I really need to go back to my lessons on long exposures and shooting at night because I just couldn't get the shot right. I tried everything... Aperture, shutter, ISO, exposure compensation, etc.  I know the moon is difficult to shoot because it moves across the sky so quickly, but I just couldn't figure out how to get a crisp, clear shot and keep the details that the naked eye could see on the moon.  In every shot I took after this one the moon is either blown out or there is no detail in the rest of the shot because everything other than the moon is black.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that shot! There is something eery about it in a really beautiful way.